Tuesday, June 22, 2010

T-minus 48 hours for New Adventure!

So, I've decided to start a blog. The main reason for this blog is because when I go to do research and am gone for weeks/months at a time, then return home and try to tell everyone what I accomplished, the days meld together and I am left describing hiking, carrying equipment, and going through lots and lots of dirt.
:/


Let me begin by explaining a bit about what I do, with some helpful pictures.

This is what I like to do: mapping!



















For the next few years, I am sure that I will likely be found here during the summer months, which is on the windward side of the Island of Hawaii.



















I normally am looking at ancient Hawaiian agricultural features, which usually consist of these rock walls (terraces)



















Sometimes I work on the dry side of the island and look like this.
















This summer, however, I will not be headed to Hawaii. Instead, I am trying something completely new and not exactly archaeology. In a few days I will be headed up to Northern Canada- the Yukon to be exact- and will be assisting in a research project that is looking for ancient fossils. I believe I'm going to be in recently used gold mines, power washing away permafrost to find said fossils. And I'm really excited!! I hope to be able to post something every day, but don't hold me to that right now.

Current weather in Dawson, Yukon is 55F/13C. Current weather here in Albuquerque, New Mexico is 85F/30C and climbing. Let's do this.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment